Cross in the Snow – Eastern Cross League at Chantry Park, Ipswich on Sunday
LVYCC’s Max Bolton rides to victory in the snow-covered youth race – this is the how-to:
- Believe the weather forecast that says the snow will probably not make it to Ipswich and conclude travelling will be fine.
- Leave home ridiculously early as your rider wants plenty of course practice – ie 7:15 am. Fortuitously this means you travel along the A12 with barely a car in sight rather than 4 hours of stuck traffic.
- Keep telling yourself the snow will lessen as you get further east so driving on snow covered roads is not foolish.
- Park up at Ipswich in pouring rain. Not a snowflake in sight.
- Watch as the rain turns to snow and rapidly covers the course.
- Watch the brave U8s and 10s shiver on the startline whilst the snow drives straight into their faces.
- Rather ridiculously drag spare wheels and pressure washer through 5cm of snow to the pits, thinking a combination of mud and snow might clog the bike. It doesn’t.
- Cheer Max to victory on a beautifully crisp white course and feel actually quite Christmassy.
- Spend the afternoon judging whilst attempting to keep fingers warm. Judging is much easier when most people are stuck on the A12.
- Travel home. Most traffic jams have now cleared. We make it in one piece.
Congratulations to Max for a great ride, never to be forgotten!